This post is part of a 15-day electric road trip through Ontario, Quebec, and parts of the East Coast and back home.
Date: Monday, February 3, 2020
- Tesla Road Trip: Traveling from Madison WI to Comber ON – Day 1
- Tesla Road Trip: Traveling to Niagara Falls ON – Day 2
- Tesla Road Trip: Ball’s Falls to Bowmanville – Day 3
- Tesla Road Trip: Arriving in St-Eugène – Day 4
- Tesla Road Trip: Bonjour Montreal – Day 5
- Tesla Road Trip: Bonjour Montreal pt. 2 – Day 6
- Tesla Road Trip: Mont-Tremblant – Day 7
- Tesla Road Trip: Mont-Tremblant National Park – Day 8
- Tesla Road Trip: Le Massif – Day 9
- Tesla Road Trip: More Quebec! – Day 10
- Tesla Road Trip: Reached Maine! – Day 11
- Tesla Road Trip: Tremont-Bass Harbor – Day 12
- Tesla Road Trip: Maine Coastline – Day 13
- Tesla Road Trip: New York-Ohio-Indiana – Day 14
- Tesla Road Trip: Homeward Bound – Day 15
Cliff House Beach
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Portland Head Lighthouse
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Ram Island Ledge Light Station
I decided towards the end of this flight to get some stills of the other lighthouse in the distance. By the time I arrived, I was prompted with the first warning that I needed to turn around right away if I was to land the drone where I took off. I fired off the pictures I wanted and immediately headed back. At this point, I was really sweating and trying really hard not to panic because the drone began to lose altitude, did it not realize it would be landing in the ocean water? I had to keep the stick on the controller up to avoid the drone losing any more altitude! I made the decision at this moment to let go of the idea of capturing this situation with my smartphone or action cam.
I used a tool online to calculate the distance between the takeoff location and Ram Island Ledge Light Station. The distance is between the two GPS coordinates is:
2.13 KM or
1.32 Miles or
1.15 Nautical miles or
This wouldn’t have been a problem with a fresh battery or warmer temperatures.
I managed to land the drone right as the drone display said I had two seconds of flight time left!!! The battery wouldn’t power back on after I landed it! This was the closest I have ever flown with a depleted battery. Holy cow!
If I had tried to do anything else, surely this drone would have taken a dip into the ocean!
Auburn, WA Supercharger
The Outlet Collection
I was looking at driving up to either the Green Mountain National Forest or October Mountain State Forest which appeared to be very close by however I check the weather and learn wind is at 30 mph for gust base without much altitude.
Lee, WA Supercharger
Big Y Supermarket
Utica, NY Supercharger
North Utica Shopping Center
Today was very much a travel day. So thankful that I didn’t crash the drone and lose a bunch of work. Lesson learned! Maybe it’s worth investing in a backup hard drive just for drones? Where I can dump my files after each and every flight. Maybe something like this Seagate drive?
Seagate DJI Fly Drive for Drone Footage on Newegg (Ships from Hong Kong) OR Amazon below:
The wind only started to die down right around sunset (golden hour) and there wasn’t really anything of interest for me.
I found a 24/7 public charging station to charge overnight. Total of 8 stalls so no worries of interfering with other EVs. $0.00