Let's take a look at how to activate Google Fi with a VPN in the following guide:
- Sign up for Surfshark (RAM-only VPN Servers!) $1.99/mo
- Make sure your account address is listed somewhere in the United States, such as a co-working space or other address within the country.
- Utilice Borderlinx to get an address to send your Google SIM card + phone for activation. Alternatively, you only need to use the built-in eSIM in your Pixel 3/4/5 phone.
Sign up for Surfshark VPN
Find your Surfshark details
The credentials for the Surfshark service differ from the credentials of your Surfshark account, namely your e-mail and your password. You need credentials for the Surfshark service in order to connect to the VPN via a manual OpenVPN configuration, which is explained below.
Here is how you can get your Surfshark service credentials:
- Log in to your newly created Surfshark account and visit the manual connection guide.
- Scroll down on this page to see your various location configuration files, as well as your username and password.
You may need to log in before you get to this page. In this case, enter your e-mail address and password and then click Login.
Choose Surfshark server
- On the same page, you will find a list of VPN locations and associated hostnames. The hostname is listed under each of the locations.
- Note the hostname you want to connect to. You will want to copy the hostname you want to connect to later in this tutorial.
Configure the OpenVPN client
- Log in into your NETGEAR WiFi Router (using DD-WRT) at http://192.168.1.1 (typically)
- In the DD-WRT control panel, open the Setup tab, scroll to the DHCP settings of the network address server, and enter the following information:
Static DNS 1 = 22.214.171.124
Static DNS 2 = 126.96.36.199
Static DNS 3 = 0.0.0.0 (default)Use DNSMasq for DHCP = Checked
Use DNSMasq for DNS = Checked
DHCP-Authoritative = Checked
Then, click Save y Apply Settings.
3. Then click on the Servicio tab, select VPN and find the OpenVPN client.
4. Enter the following information:
Server IP / Name: Enter the hostname of the server you have collected in the “Choose Surfshark server“ section of this tutorial.
Tunnel Device: TUN;
Tunnel Protocol: UDP;
Encryption Cipher: None;
Hash Algorithm: SHA-512;
User Pass Authentication: Enable;
Username: Your Surfshark service username that you have found at the “Find your Surfshark details” section of this guide.
Password: Your Surfshark service password that you have found at the “Find your Surfshark details” section of this guide.
Note: If there are no username and password fields, fill in the other fields as specified in this tutorial and continue with step 3.1.
Advanced Options = Enable (this will enable additional options);
TLS Cipher: None;
LZO Compression: Disabled;
Surfshark recommends not changing any other fields.
3.1. (Opcional:, depending on step 3.) If you do not see any fields to enter your credentials, please advance to Administration > Commands, and enter these commands:
echo "USERNAME PASSWORD" > /tmp/openvpncl/user.conf /usr/bin/killall openvpn /usr/sbin/openvpn --config /tmp/openvpncl/openvpn.conf --route-up /tmp/openvpncl/route-up.sh --down-pre /tmp/openvpncl/route-down.sh --daemon
Please make sure to replace USERNAME y PASSWORD with your Surfshark service credentials that can be found at the bottom of this page. Click Save Startup, and return to the previous VPN tab.
Also, add this line to the field of Additional Config:
5. In Additional Config field enter these commands:
remote-cert-tls server remote-random nobind tun-mtu 1500 tun-mtu-extra 32 mssfix 1450 persist-key persist-tun ping-timer-rem reneg-sec 0 cipher AES-256-GCM auth SHA512 log /tmp/vpn.log
5. Copy the Certificate from here and paste it to the CA Cert field.
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- MIIFTTCCAzWgAwIBAgIJAMs9S3fqwv+mMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBCwUAMD0xCzAJBgNV BAYTAlZHMRIwEAYDVQQKDAlTdXJmc2hhcmsxGjAYBgNVBAMMEVN1cmZzaGFyayBS b290IENBMB4XDTE4MDMxNDA4NTkyM1oXDTI4MDMxMTA4NTkyM1owPTELMAkGA1UE BhMCVkcxEjAQBgNVBAoMCVN1cmZzaGFyazEaMBgGA1UEAwwRU3VyZnNoYXJrIFJv b3QgQ0EwggIiMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4ICDwAwggIKAoICAQDEGMNj0aisM63o SkmVJyZPaYX7aPsZtzsxo6m6p5Wta3MGASoryRsBuRaH6VVa0fwbI1nw5ubyxkua Na4v3zHVwuSq6F1p8S811+1YP1av+jqDcMyojH0ujZSHIcb/i5LtaHNXBQ3qN48C c7sqBnTIIFpmb5HthQ/4pW+a82b1guM5dZHsh7q+LKQDIGmvtMtO1+NEnmj81BAp FayiaD1ggvwDI4x7o/Y3ksfWSCHnqXGyqzSFLh8QuQrTmWUm84YHGFxoI1/8AKdI yVoB6BjcaMKtKs/pbctk6vkzmYf0XmGovDKPQF6MwUekchLjB5gSBNnptSQ9kNgn TLqi0OpSwI6ixX52Ksva6UM8P01ZIhWZ6ua/T/tArgODy5JZMW+pQ1A6L0b7egIe ghpwKnPRG+5CzgO0J5UE6gv000mqbmC3CbiS8xi2xuNgruAyY2hUOoV9/BuBev8t tE5ZCsJH3YlG6NtbZ9hPc61GiBSx8NJnX5QHyCnfic/X87eST/amZsZCAOJ5v4EP SaKrItt+HrEFWZQIq4fJmHJNNbYvWzCE08AL+5/6Z+lxb/Bm3dapx2zdit3x2e+m iGHekuiE8lQWD0rXD4+T+nDRi3X+kyt8Ex/8qRiUfrisrSHFzVMRungIMGdO9O/z CINFrb7wahm4PqU2f12Z9TRCOTXciQIDAQABo1AwTjAdBgNVHQ4EFgQUYRpbQwyD ahLMN3F2ony3+UqOYOgwHwYDVR0jBBgwFoAUYRpbQwyDahLMN3F2ony3+UqOYOgw DAYDVR0TBAUwAwEB/zANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQsFAAOCAgEAn9zV7F/XVnFNZhHFrt0Z S1Yqz+qM9CojLmiyblMFh0p7t+Hh+VKVgMwrz0LwDH4UsOosXA28eJPmech6/bjf ymkoXISy/NUSTFpUChGO9RabGGxJsT4dugOw9MPaIVZffny4qYOc/rXDXDSfF2b+ 303lLPI43y9qoe0oyZ1vtk/UKG75FkWfFUogGNbpOkuz+et5Y0aIEiyg0yh6/l5Q 5h8+yom0HZnREHhqieGbkaGKLkyu7zQ4D4tRK/mBhd8nv+09GtPEG+D5LPbabFVx KjBMP4Vp24WuSUOqcGSsURHevawPVBfgmsxf1UCjelaIwngdh6WfNCRXa5QQPQTK ubQvkvXONCDdhmdXQccnRX1nJWhPYi0onffvjsWUfztRypsKzX4dvM9k7xnIcGSG EnCC4RCgt1UiZIj7frcCMssbA6vJ9naM0s7JF7N3VKeHJtqe1OCRHMYnWUZt9vrq X6IoIHlZCoLlv39wFW9QNxelcAOCVbD+19MZ0ZXt7LitjIqe7yF5WxDQN4xru087 FzQ4Hfj7eH1SNLLyKZkA1eecjmRoi/OoqAt7afSnwtQLtMUc2bQDg6rHt5C0e4dC LqP/9PGZTSJiwmtRHJ/N5qYWIh9ju83APvLm/AGBTR2pXmj9G3KdVOkpIC7L35dI 623cSEC3Q3UZutsEm/UplsM= -----END CERTIFICATE-----
6. Copy the Static key from here and paste it to the TLS Auth Key field.
-----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1----- b02cb1d7c6fee5d4f89b8de72b51a8d0 c7b282631d6fc19be1df6ebae9e2779e 6d9f097058a31c97f57f0c35526a44ae 09a01d1284b50b954d9246725a1ead1f f224a102ed9ab3da0152a15525643b2e ee226c37041dc55539d475183b889a10 e18bb94f079a4a49888da566b9978346 0ece01daaf93548beea6c827d9674897 e7279ff1a19cb092659e8c1860fbad0d b4ad0ad5732f1af4655dbd66214e552f 04ed8fd0104e1d4bf99c249ac229ce16 9d9ba22068c6c0ab742424760911d463 6aafb4b85f0c952a9ce4275bc821391a a65fcd0d2394f006e3fba0fd34c4bc4a b260f4b45dec3285875589c97d3087c9 134d3a3aa2f904512e85aa2dc2202498 -----END OpenVPN Static key V1-----
7. Make sure you have entered everything correctly and click Save y Apply Settings.
Connect to the VPN
As soon as you click Apply settings after configuring your OpenVPN client, your router will automatically connect to the VPN.
To disconnect from the VPN, select Services -> VPN -> OpenVPN client and disable the OpenVPN Client. To reconnect, enable it again.
To make sure you are connected to the VPN, go to Status -> OpenVPN. If the connection was successful, you should see the following:
Congratulations – you have successfully installed and configured Surfshark VPN on your router! As long as you are connected, your location is private, and your sensitive data is secure. You can now activate your Google Fi device wherever you are, as long as you select a VPN location in the US!
If you have any further questions, please contact the Surfshark customer success team, who will help you 24 hours a day via live chat or email.
More reasons to Try Surfshark
- RAM-only servers – Recently modified, they only work on RAM-only servers, which ensures more privacy and security by automatically deleting all information from the server once it is turned off.
- Access 15+ Netflix libraries – Access more content!
- Access to the Peacock streaming service – Outside the USA
- Unlimited devices – Many other service providers have limitations on the number of devices you can connect and protect via the VPN.
- Integrated Adblocker CleanWeb – Additional protection.
- Kill Switch – The kill switch feature protects you from accidentally revealing your data when your VPN connection breaks down by disconnecting you from the Internet.
How did it go? Please leave a comment below if I missed something or if everything worked for you. I would love to hear from you!
I found Speedify + Connectify to be one of the easiest ways to make things work instantly and without too much effort. You can use other VPNs, but you still need a way to somehow get your phone into the VPN network and they have set up these two tools to do that.
I used Google Fi from Comber, Ontario to Quebec and had service most of the time, except for Mont-Tremblant National Park, where there is little cell phone reception. If you can, try calling via WiFi apps, otherwise it costs 20 cents per minute when you call home to the United States.
Sign up for Surfshark VPN
Descargo de responsabilidad
I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonials and / or links to products or services linked above. Your purchase helps my work to bring you more photographs, travel guides and more trips around the world.